AnnouncementmyUnisa access problems02/19/2014 04:04PM
AnnouncementSurvey request - marketing SMSs02/04/2014 08:00AM
AnnouncementBest wishes from the Director12/06/2013 08:04AM
Announcement3G Internet access offer for students03/13/2014 06:51PM
AnnouncementGame Development World Championship 2013.01/18/2014 11:26PM
six years ago
From the myUnisa site:

Publication of Examination Results

The results of the October/November 2007 examinations are expected from 11 December 2007 onwards. Results will be released as they are finalised by Unisa, i.e. your results may be spread out over the week.
Re: Examination Results
six years ago
hmmm - can't wait - or can I?
six years ago
I'll probably get the marks I'm most worried about last.

From my experience, the marks will not be released on 11th, probably only from 18th onwards.

Isn't 11th earlier than usual?
Anonymous User
six years ago
usually they say 15th, and then they hand them all out at once. you will find that they will do BA results on 11th, Bcom on 12th, comp sci ~ 13th etc. they won't give out one result at a time - unless of course you include a BA subject in your bsc - maybe you get that a bit earlier or later.

the 11th is early as compared to the last 2 years of results - they came out after 15th. but way back in prehistoric times they used to be released around 8 - 12 december.
six years ago
its normally midnight too!
Anonymous User
six years ago
nowadays yeah... it used to be there by 8 am
six years ago
8am hahahahahahahaha
six years ago
I will be at Plet lazing by the river fishing with my boyz.

But I will have my notebooks and 3G modem with me incase curiosity gets the better of me. I should pass all 4 modules, 3 of them not as well as I was hoping for. But, so what, a pass is a pass.
six years ago
This is from myUnisa:

"The results of the October/November 2007 examinations are expected from 11 December 2007 onwards. Results will be released as they are finalised by Unisa, i.e. your results may be spread out over the week."

I understand that to mean that we might get one subject's results on 11, another couple on 12th, etc...
six years ago
From the Unisa site:
[www.unisa.ac.za]

Staggered Release of Results
Unisa is committed to service delivery in every possible way. In keeping with this intention, and cognisant of the stresses of examinations, Unisa has decided that provisional results will be made available on the student system (myUnisa) as soon as they have been captured. In other words, your provisional results will be released on a staggered basis as and when it become available. Unisa will begin releasing results from 3 December 2007 and the "Available Results" list will be updated daily. Please note that results are PROVISIONAL and are subject to changes. The provisional results will also not reflect any supplementary status and you will not be permitted to register for 2008 using the provisional results.

Final results will be published and available at 21h00 on 11 December 2007. Please do not telephone the Contact Centre for provisional results. You may, however, access the MTN service which will also be providing the Unisa provisional results, as updated on a daily basis from 3 December 2007.
six years ago
I think that is looney.

Imagine getting a provisional result of 50%. That would be very stressful.

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
[ilanpillemer.com]
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
six years ago
Imagine getting one of below 50% and not knowing if it is final or not??
six years ago
I think its craziness!

How can they mark the exams and give us provisional marks? We either got the marks or we didn't!
six years ago
Maybe they are looking at improving their delivery of exam stress?

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
[ilanpillemer.com]
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
six years ago
or they look at the average and decide if they should adjust scores.

Also, if you short one course to complete a degree, sometimes they adjust the marks to help you along spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
six years ago
That's interesting, will they actually do that?

I normally receive the email of my results 2 or 3 days before they release it. I am looking forward to my results. Hope it's the last time.
six years ago
They would yes, I helped marking design patterns for Tuks, very interesting how it all works. We calculated the final mark before deciding what to give for the paper. It is possible with essay type questions....not multiple choice...
six years ago
rklopper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We calculated the final mark before deciding what to
> give for the paper.

How does that work?
six years ago
rklopper Wrote:
> They would yes, I helped marking design patterns
> for Tuks,

What design patterns you talking about? Is that cos311? what is Tuks?
six years ago
Tuks is uiversity of pretoria. It is easier to adjust marks when there is are semester marks etc....for example, if you pass on semester marks, and after taking the exam into account you fail, then they would try to make a plan, all within ethical bounds though.

It was the second year module for design patterns,..
six years ago
Thanks for the information. Well, UNISA only has one final exam to determine your study result(this year, the assignments count 10%), it differs with the non-distance full time universities which use the percentage to determine your final result. That is why I wanna do my honours through UCT. I can feel the strong powerful academic atmosphere when you at the UCT, so much knowledge and history over there...
six years ago
It's very much like the Self-study exam in China, which you study by yourself and write the final exam on the specific day and everybody can register for the exams. Once you pass the certain amount of the exams which are designed for the certain degrees, then you get that official degree. The exams are nation wide, that means on that specific, everybody write that exam no matter where city you are. The exam committee make the arrangement for the exam, so you sit on the desk which has your name on it, you cannot go to the restroom while the exam, either quit or hold(not like here, you just see people in out all the time). The exam card(same as the student card in UNISA) has your picture on it which is taken by the exam center, so no one can write the exam for the others.

Although it's a very hard exam but the degree you get is the lowest range among all the other full time universities. The employer would choose the other university student over you. Because we believe to get a degree not just by passing some exams, which is too rigid to show how good you are, at the university you attend the class which are taught by professors, you discuss the relevant topic, you are surrounded by the knowledge and experience.

Above just the personal opinion.
six years ago
Nancy, it is very much the same with UNISA,

When they know you are about to finish your degree they would do their best to get you through. That is the final calcs lag you are experiencing. For example:

In my final year of honours, I stuffed up INFMANA horribly. My graduation wopuld have been thrown out by an entire year because of it. Everything was essay questions which were very subjective in their marking. I ended up getting 50%, not 49 or 51.....just enough to get me through to finish the degree.

The only way they could have done it is if everything else was already marked when they made the decision. If I failed 2 other modules, then obviously there would have been no merrit in adjusting INFMANA to 50%. I can see them sitting around a table comparing scores smiling smiley
six years ago
My experience in SA again is the opposite. Full time students are lazy and need to be spoon fed. They have three times the amount of time to master the same works as we do. Most employers prefer unisa students as they showed they are self starters, and dont need their hands held. Most unisa students also comes with REAL work experience, not mere discussions in class (as most times theory is far from practice).

When I applied to gain access to UP for my masters, which seemed to be a hard thing to get, I got the following reply from Prof Kourie, now my supervisor. Keep in mind that I have not yet finished my honours at that time:

"On the face of things, you sound like the student that i would like to
supervise: enthusiastic; distinction material; UNISA (means self-starter in my book). My hope is that you will be able to define your research project - or at least prepare some sort of proposal (one or two pages is what I have in mind) around which we could iterate and hopefully converge towards an acceptable MSc project. I suggest that we meet once you have finished your hons exams. If you already have an idea of what you think you would like to pursue as a research project, maybe that meeting could be based on a first draft of such a proposal.
Alternatively, maybe you would like to first discuss a number of ideas, before converging towards a specific proposal.

Look forward to hearing from you.

BTW - registration is not time-critical. We could easily wait until your hons results are in, and could delay it until Feb next year (or even later)."

Just shows, unisa students get allot of respect out there....
six years ago

When they know you are about to finish your degree they would do their best to get you through. That is the final calcs lag you are experiencing. For example:

In my final year of honours, I stuffed up INFMANA horribly. My graduation wopuld have been thrown out by an entire year because of it. Everything was essay questions which were very subjective in their marking. I ended up getting 50%, not 49 or 51.....just enough to get me through to finish the degree.
Perhaps for honours it is different.

In the final year of my BSC I got a sup for AI, which I "failed" by something like 2%.
Upon viewing the paper (With another lecturer because the original lecturer was away and not contactable for the whole of december->march) we discovered that I had lost about 20% to a question that I had actually got right due to the marker and/or original lecturer not properly understanding.
There were actually other marks I lost incorrectly as well and I should have actually done very well in the paper(As I had originally believed)
It was of course too late to get a remark etc so i just put up with it and wrote the sup which I obviously passed fine.

Anyway the point is that in the story above they definitely did not do there "best" to get me through, in fact they actively managed to delay me getting my degree by several months through blundering and incompetence. So your theory is at the very least definitely not true in all cases...

--
"Knowledge has much better uses than self-pity and superiority"
six years ago
Thanks again for the information. Hope UCT would have the same respect toward us UNISA students.

I was wondering about the Full time students, I stay in the building surrounded by the UCT students, seem like they are party all the time, while I am busy with my exam preparation. I thought that UCT might only take the best and the smartest students, that is why they learn everything without any effort...
six years ago
I agree, I do think they are more lenient at honours level, maybe because it is a little harder, referring to the amount of time is required from you.

Although, maybe computer science is different. With my BCom I had a 50% as well in my final year, which might also be questionable...
six years ago
Perhaps, maybe you really did just get 50% it is possible tongue sticking out smiley

It could also depend on the lecturer some like to do a proper job and actually care about how students do and others do the bare minimum etc.. etc..
At any rate I definitely wouldn't want to depend on such a thing ever happening tongue sticking out smiley

--
six years ago
malcolm Wrote:
> There were actually other marks I lost incorrectly
> as well and I should have actually done very well
> in the paper(As I had originally believed)
> It was of course too late to get a remark etc so i
> just put up with it and wrote the sup which I
> obviously passed fine.
>
> Anyway the point is that in the story above they
> definitely did not do there "best" to get me
> through, in fact they actively managed to delay me
> getting my degree by several months through
> blundering and incompetence. So your theory is at
> the very least definitely not true in all cases...

What you have done to make them treat you like that?? Did you make an issue with them??
six years ago

What you have done to make them treat you like that?? Did you make an issue with them??
LOL, no I don't think it was on purpose winking smiley
Definitely not aware of anything I have ever done to a lecturer to make them hate me that much. In fact I have barely spoken to any unisa lecturers ever.

--
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login